Talk to anyone who’s spent time in a workshop and they’ll tell you endless reasons why it’s satisfying to build things with your own hands. Here’s just 15 reasons why we thinks you should learn to build in 2015:
1. It’s rewarding. As humans, we were born to be creative.
2. It’s economical. You can build high quality furniture for a fraction of the cost of buying.
3. It teaches patience. There aren’t many short cuts, but the end result is worth it.
4. You’ll meet some wonderful people. Our community of builders is so supportive of one another and anxious to share tips with those new to the craft.
5. Woodworking knowledge is impressive. Your new vocabulary of traditional wood joinery techniques will make for great discussion at the next cocktail party.
6. Woodworking results are impressive. Guests will take notice of your handbuilt furniture, trust us.
7. It’s custom. You can built with precise measurements that suit your living space.
8. You’ll become a better problem solver. Mistakes happen, and you’ll learn how to turn an accident into a unique feature of your project.
9. It’s a great time to think. You probably get your best ideas while mowing the lawn or taking a shower. Just wait till you start daydreaming with a random orbital sander in hand.
10. You’ll appreciate other furniture more. You’ll recognize quality and learn what to avoid when buying furniture.
11. It’s win-win. You’ll be investing in yourself and supporting a local business.
12. It’s active. Sure it’s not like you’re running a 10k, but it’s a lot better than sitting on the couch!
13. It’s Fun… maybe even addicting. Some of our hobbyists even stop by on their lunch hour to work on their projects.
14. It builds confidence. You’ll be surprised by what you’re capable of!
15. It’s timeless. For as long as we need a roof over our heads and a place to sit, carpentry skills will be relevant.